Awair is a connected device that monitors the air quality by measuring Temperature, Humidity, CO2, VOCs and Dust. It then gives you personalized recommendations to improve your air. YES, HARDWARE IS HARD. BUT WE PROUDLY MADE IT. We shipped our first batch on time, as promised (November 2015).
- Class of 2015, R/GA IoT Accelerator powered by Techstars
- Partnership with Mayo Clinic, Amazon Launchpad, Nest, Amazon Echo and IFTTT
- Bronze winner, Clio Award 2016 Product Design
As a founding member of the team I worked as a product designer/manager and successfully led the whole process of design from scratch.
- Champion in creating and shipping software: Launched Android/iOS apps and the official website of Awair.
- Managed internal/external engineers for hardware-software integration and product quality in manufacturing process.
- Developed visual communication design including brand identity, product packages and marketing collateral.
Great internet-connected devices should provide a seamless integrated user experience between the hardware and software products. The Awair and the app are always *NSYNC.
As a solo product designer
- Created use cases, feature sets, user flows, concept sketches, wireframes, prototypes and pixel-perfect visual assets, to support the entire product development cycle.
- Conducted usability testing and analyzed product performance for design decisions.
- Shipped new features iteratively in an Agile environment.
*team blog post - listened, tweaked, shipped and repeated.
Awair utilizes both Bluetooth technology and Wi-Fi. The entire installation process is self explanatory and easy to follow. It never confuses and frustrates you.
A single colored dot displayed on the device as well as on the app informs you where you are. The progress bar on the app is always visible to show you how many steps are left.
SIMPLE, YET INFORMATIVE
Awair uses a familiar color scale to help you understand your air quality at a glance. It’s a 0 to 100 scale with 0 being poor air quality and 100 being healthy. Awair features an LED screen that shows the current score of your environment and the shape of the graph that you can see from the main screen of the app.
“Motivation trumps knowledge” has been our motto. So, one of the most significant benefits we’ve introduced is the “Awair Cards”. With cards, you get actionable tips, insights, product suggestions and relevant healthcare information that are easy to implement into your daily routine. The Awair app is where data turns into actions.
Daily and weekly trend graphs help you understand your behavior patterns and what’s causing air quality issues as they’re happening. You can filter by each sensor’s data and see how your air was doing in a specific time frame.
Awair offers various preference modes to help you sleep better, control your allergies, increase productivity and improve your general health.
Awair works with other connected-home devices like Nest and Alexa to automatically keep your air clean and healthy. The integration with a number of other platformsgives you control over how the devices in your home react to the data gathered from your Awair.
Natural. Familiar. Human.
Seoul, Korea / Palo Alto, CA / New York, NY
April 2014 - July 2016